The Air Force Museum of the German Federal Armed Forces has its home on the former military airfield Berlin-Gatow. In 1934/35 the runway, hangars and barracks were built as an academy for officers, general staff officers and technical officers of Hitler's Luftwaffe. Berlin-Gatow was one of four air combat and technical training academies in Nazi-Germany.
At the end of World War II the complex was at first taken over by the Red Army. When Berlin was split into four sectors the airfield came under British occupation and was used by the British Forces from 2 July 1945. During the airlift in 1948/49 when the Western Allies sustained Berlin for over a year by bringing in all necessary supplies by air, Gatow played an important role as an additional airfield to the main one in Tempelhof. In the following decades the airbase was used the the British Army Air Corps and during this time Gatow was the port of entry for many important military and political visitors from Britain.
On 18 June 1994 the Union Jack was taken down for the last time as the Western Allies left the re-united Berlin.
The German Federal Armed Forces took over the site on 7 September 1994. The facilities to the south of the airfield are now known as the General Steinhoff Barracks. The hangars, tower and most of the runways have become part of the Air Force Museum.
The central exhibition showing the history of military aviation in Germany is in Hangar 3. Other areas house displays about the history of Berlin-Gatow and special exhibitions on various other themes. Uniforms and equipment are on show in the old tower and over 100 aircraft are displayed on the runways.
The History of the Museum >>
|< Prev||Next >|